The statistics show that the United States is experiencing a recovery. Perhaps, we should call it a discovery as it seems
barely in recovery. You have to look closely as it feels very much like a recession and a continual water torture of tight money, few jobs and discouraged citizens. It is making an extremely slow recovery and it seems hardly like any other recovery. At least the Great Depression had WWII to turn it around.
As transits go–and they do affect cycles of money, expansion and contraction, revolution, breakdown and renewal–we are in the Mother of all transits. Here are a few things to remember through this long and painful recovery process.
1) The United States is experiencing a Plutonian transit called a Pluto return. It has never happened to it before. In fact, it happens only about every 240 years. Lucky us. We are back in the Revolution. This is one reason why it feels very dramatic and almost as if the country needs a complete makeover.
2) We have 12 more years left to this transit–in other words, we must get it cleaned out and up by 2024.
3) No area is spared. Health care, corporations, finance, government, the social contract and more. Everything has to be exposed for what it is and what it has done. Corruption, lies, coverups, scandals, bribes, patronage, nepotism will continue to fill the headlines and blogs. It is like a giant machine that keeps blowing out more hidden materials. It is the dirt under the dirt.
4) Contraction is taking place on all levels. Even smart phone will become the “smart watch” as everything gets smaller in proportion. Large fighter planes are replaced by weapon-carrying drones. Bodies will get thinner as we have reached the tipping point of disease and obesity. Housing will become smaller as we become willing to downsize (some forcibly) and money contracts. Governments and their services will have to contract. Right now the cities and states are under great pain to face what they have done to the social contracts. Many promised huge gifts to city and state governments that cannot be delivered. Expect an “eat your spinach” period ahead. It is not pretty. Pension funds are in serious trouble from smoke and mirror accounting and unrealistic returns on investment. Many of these will have to be renegotiated.
5) Manufacturing jobs, as we have been accustomed, are not returning. Unemployment will remain high for years as we contract the old manufacturing model and create a new one.
6) Entrepreneurs are gold. This is the time to create new products, services and value. We are a pragmatic country. Sell what people want and need. There are all kinds of free “crowd funding” monies available to you to start a business. Kickstarter.com and CircleUp.com to name two.
7) We are creating a new “normal” as there is nothing “Normal” now. Forget it.
8) Planning on staying in the work force for a much longer period of time. Expect to start seeing people working into their 80’s.
9) Protect your principal. Do not try get rich schemes during this period. Be very discerning. Ask lots of questions and be conservative in your investments. The time is one of conservation of your resources, time, energy and money.
10) Travel light. The airlines are a metaphor. They are forcing us to carry less stuff and making us pay for it if we do.
11) America is in for observation. The patient is in recovery but her vitals must be regularly checked and proper medication delivered to help her out. Washington, Congress, the Presidency and the lobbyists are lousy doctors. They are too wrapped up in their own affairs and interests to be good doctors. Replace them, monitor them and take them to court for malpractice.
12) You can move forward judiciously. Our lives are in a “waste-not–want–not” mode. Keep taking care of your health, move to where employment is stronger and don’t just think of only the United States for employment. Currently they are desperate for good managers in South Africa. Where else in the world can they use your services? New manufacturing requiring advanced skills are being born as I write this. Exciting stuff is coming but we have to get through the next 12 years. Hold your governments’ feet to the fire. Keep up the pressure. Remember, we are the farmers of 1776. Breakdown, revolution and renewal.